Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

Of Hayao Miyazaki Films and What

I am actually in a pretty foul mood right now because my six year old niece ate my dinner and I really want to strangle her. And this huge ass moth is flying around my light. Are moths naturally dumb? This one seems to be unnaturally so.

Anyway, that's not what I'm supposed to talk about.

A few days back, my friends and I were talking about our favorite Hayao Miyazaki film. Mine was Spirited Away, Jade's was Whisper of the Heart (this isn't actually a Hayao Miyazaki film but he wrote the script for this so let's consider lol) and Mico's was.. something I forgot (I tried being considerate and asked him what it was through FB chat but the dick isn't replying). My boyfriend, when I asked him a few days later, said his favorite was Howl's Moving Castle.

I almost completely shrugged off the conversation when Jade said something that was quite.. unusual in a way? She said she loved Whisper of the Heart because the main guy character knew exactly what he wanted to be in the future, and she didn't. She wasn't sure of what to be, and said that her future still seemed so cloudy to her even though she's already got everything planned.

I actually wondered why my boyfriend's favorite was Howl's Moving Castle because it was a bit of a love story. It's my second favorite, actually, but I loved it because the whole "happily ever after" and "getting lost in a world of magic" idea which were just my cup of tea. Josh (boyfriend) said that it was his favorite because he didn't want to grow old, and that he realized that he didn't really have a childhood, that's why he wants to stay young.

I was honestly amazed how these two (who're three thousand times smarter than I am) could easily pinpoint a reason behind their fave Hayao films. I wondered what was my "hidden special reason" of liking Spirited Away, and I really couldn't figure it out.

So I asked Josh.

He said "It's the issue with your parents. You hate them but you secretly love them with all your kokoro (heart), or at least want to but can not because of reasons undisclosed." and I was like "Oh", because he was right. My parents are separated, and it's something I like putting the blame on when things go bad, especially financially.

We also have a friend who really, really, really loves My Neighbor Totoro, and even has a collection of Totoro items. I should ask her why when I catch her online. Lol.

Hayao Miyazaki films may mean differently for you guys, I'm not saying those who don't have a "hidden special reason" for liking these films are weebs (though they are most of the time). My friends and I just like looking at the deeper side of stuff. That's it. I wonder what's your Hayao Miyazaki story, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment