Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

I was just wondering..

..how do people actually brush their teeth during the old times? Like in the Victorian era?

Holy shit what just happened? My laptop's screen just suddenly went black and then.. I closed the lid.. and it just.. came on again. D:

Anyway, going back. I googled shit and this is what I found: A Victorian Lady's Toilette, by Kathleen Bittner-Roth. Pretty good. So they used horse or boar hair and some concoction to clean their mouth (based from what I read, I bet it tasted awful). My camping buddies used to brush their teeth with salt when we run out of toothpaste, making me cringe. Didn't know that was actually legit. Learned more than what I asked for. I'm not even that girly-girl but I'll trying some of these out, especially the facial sugar thing (because it's easy to do haha).

Wait, let me check out the Chinese and Japs. Meh. Too lazy to do actual research since net is being a bitch again, so I just skimmed over google results and they seem to have been using the same method, with the horse hairs and all. I should give that a try. Better go find a horse.

Oh, here's an extra link (because a link I clicked on 10mins earlier just decided to load):
EVER WONDERED how people cleaned their teeth before toothbrushes?

No comments:

Post a Comment